Hello and welcome to another monthly net worth update!
This year is rapidly drawing to a close and it seems as though every time I pause for breath, another month has been and gone! I hope you all had a great month and are all set for some downtime as the festive season approaches.
What Happened In November?
I had a few goals for November:
- Pursue FIRE Housekeeping – making lots of fixes and tweaks on the site.
- Money management ahead of the Christmas season and some upcoming irregular payments due.
- Deciding whether to start an Executive MBA
- Possible Podcast
- Some follow up posts
Now that I have a respectable amount of content on the site, I was able to perform some housekeeping and keep things looking presentable. The biggest learning curve I had was the rescaling of images to ensure that they were sufficiently small in size, yet still of a good quality to enable pages to load fast.
More work to do here, but I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made in such a short few months.
I mentioned last month, that I had been offered a place on an Executive MBA programme and had even secured quite a generous financial sponsorship – the actual cost to me now being a fraction of what it might have been 😉
After some deliberation (mostly over how on earth I’ll find the time), I decided to accept my place and so things formally kicked-off in late November… gulp!
I already have my first exam looming in mid-December (based on the first concentration module in Accounting), before moving on to Markets & Economies in the New Year.
All-in-all, this will take me a year to complete, and while its only been a few weeks, I’m really enjoying it and getting to know my cohort of around 130 students globally – a good number of which are based in the UK and Europe. There are meet-ups planned all over the world as the course progresses, so hopefully, I’ll make it to one or two of those in the flesh.
Well, I did not get around to starting a podcast and this is something I will probably hold off until I have a bit more blogging experience under my belt. I have dabbled in it previously and see great potential in doing something but it’s going to have to be a project in 2019. Watch this space 😉
With everything else going on, I still managed to put a few posts out there in November:
- Each Way Betting Report #4 – October: – My usual monthly summary of how each way betting fared over the month – October was my best month ever with a 65.9% growth in my betting bank, yielding £693 of profit!
- Monthly Net Worth Update #5: My usual monthly snapshot of Net Worth and the key changes/drivers over the month of October.
- How to Calculate Your Personal Rate of Return: A follow-up post to Know Your Returns, where I show you how to use the XIRR function in a spreadsheet to calculate your personal (money-weighted) rate of return. Includes a downloadable template.
- Pursue FIRE Each Way Betting Spreadsheet: In response to growing questions about how I track my betting, I walk you through my very own spreadsheet and my approach to recording bets and measuring profits. Includes a downloadable template.
- Making Peace With The Past – A Lesson In Lifetime Earnings: Inspired by the classic FIRE book –‘Your Money or Your Life’ by Viki Robin, this post explored an exercise whereby you determine what your lifetime earnings to date have been. It’s a powerful exercise to do to show you how much money you have generated and can generate into your future and to assist you to become more self-aware about your finances.
- Each Way Betting Report #5 – November: – My usual monthly summary of how each way betting fared over the month – I was quick to get this one out covering November on the very last day of the month. November was a tougher month, but I still managed to grow my betting bank by 21.6% and turn £476 of profit!
Net Worth Snapshot
Right, let’s take a look at some numbers for November. Below I break down my current financial assets as at the end of the month and compare these to last months totals:
After Red October, total net worth trickled higher by 3.5% (an increase of £18,329) to £547,295. Excluding property, this translates into a 3.1% advance to £300,580 (an increase of £9,111). This was driven by an increase in cash and equivalents over the month and a return to positive figures for pension and investments.
Elsewhere, cash and equivalents continue to be bolstered by the ongoing profits from Each Way Betting.
So how does this impact the year-to-date picture? Well, my total net worth remains 14.8% higher than at the start of the year (+£70,763) and, excluding property, that’s an overall increase of 17.0% (+£43,626). These figures include any contributions from me or my employer so please don’t interpret them as the investment returns achieved 😉
Focus Areas For The Coming Month
In the coming month, things will be a little quiet around here. I finish work for the year on the 11th December and then have three weeks off, before starting again in the New Year. I’ll try and do some bits on the blog, but there is so much else going on over the holidays that it may be a challenge – not to mention that first EMBA exam!
That being said, here are some possible focus areas for the month:
- Get our financial plans and goals agreed for 2019
- Map out plans for Pursue FIRE in 2019
- Possible site re-design/tweaks
Well, that’s about it from me! As always, thanks for taking the time to read and support my blog with feedback and comments – they are all hugely appreciated.
I wish you all a wonderful holiday season and the very best of luck in 2019
Until next time!
Do you have any comments, questions or tips for me? Please let me know by leaving a comment below